Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Religion drives the division on the abortion issue, not gender

On BigThink Orion Jones has a piece up claiming that the General Social Survey (an opinion poll of US adults going back decades) supports the idea that abortion is not an inter-gender issue.

   "The greatest difference in opinion over abortion rights exists between women at opposite ends of the political spectrum, not between men and women as is often supposed in popular culture."

I am tentatively in agreement.  (I have not had a chance to review the raw data yet.)  When I ran for Congress in 2012, I got asked about my stance on abortion more than anything else.  (The second most popular question was whether I would send my kids to public school if elected.  Yes, of course I would.)  While I didn't take rigorous notes about the people asking, my memory says I fielded this question from roughly ten times as many women as men.  And of the women who asked, almost all of them were concerned that I would work to make abortion more accessible.  (This was in a major metropolitan area too.)

The women who were opposed to abortion were, every single one, highly religious.  Most of the men who asked about abortion were also highly religious but again; I was asked about my position on abortion by at least ten times as many women.

The abortion issue in our modern day is I think mostly fought by women; highly religious women on one side, less or non-religious women on the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment